Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Living with shia relatives

Living with shia relatives

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: I am working as a govt. lecturer in a reputable univeristy and earning well. My husband belongs to a mixed family (father and two brothers are shia and mother, sisters are sunni). My husband follows sunni and thats why he married a sunni girl. Now one of his shia brothers came permanently from Dubai and he follows his shia acts specially in Muharram like majlis, matam, loud marsiay, etc. I have a two year old boy and I am worried about him. My husband does not pay any attention if I complain about these issues.

In addition, in my absence, my room is mostly used by my in laws who sit in my room and watch TV and sleep there also during my office hours. I complained about it to my husband but again he doesnt care about it. He provides financial support to his family (mother, two sisters, one elder unmarried brother, and one married shia brother, his wife and kids). My husband pays the rent and other utility bills for our home and joint family.

From my university, I have been aloted a house within the university premises and I asked my husband to shift here with me so that it can provide ease to me and most importantly our son can be brought-up away from shiasm. It has been more than six months that I am trying to convince him but nothing seems to work despite the fact that a handsome amount is being deducted from my salary. He does not want to move away from his family, especially his shia brother.

I am tired of convincing him. Kindly guide me in this regard.


A: If your husband is refusing to move I suggest that you move on to the home where you will find a better Islamic environment without any shia and wrong interferences and pollution.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: