Fulfilling the rights of one’s father

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za
Prev Question
Next Question

Q: We have been married for 42 years. Her father objected and still to this day refuses to speak to me despite me extending my hand many times. He did not attend the weddings of our children even though they went to ask him personally. My wife recently went to meet him against my wishes – she says she has a right because it’s her father, is this allowed?


A: Just as she has rights towards you, she also has rights towards her parents. Because of your differences with her father and not getting along with him, she should not sever ties with him.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.