Divorce is the right of the husband

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za
Prev Question
Next Question

Q: I asked my husband for a divorce and he refuses to give me it. He told me to leave. He doesn’t support the kids and I. We’ve been arguing alot and he was making threats. Can a family member issue the divorce or do I have to seek advice and counsel elsewhere? I am mentally and emotionally lost.


A: No. Divorce is the right of the husband. We suggest that you go to the Jamiat of your locality and ask them to assist you in this matter.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.