Tahajjud Salaah

Q: I want to know is it compulsory to sleep before performing tahujjud Salaah? If a person is awake till 3 am, can he/she then perform the Salaah? I have heard from many people that it’s necessary to sleep before.

A: Tahajjud refers to the salaah which is performed after awakening (from one’s sleep) during the night. Tahajjud salaah can be performed anytime after the Esha salaah until the time of subah saadiq. If one performs salaah before sleeping with the niyyat of tahajjud, Insha Allah he will receive the reward of tahajjud.