Women going to male doctors

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I have been married for two years and and we are trying for a baby from the beginning onwards but still there is no pregnancy due to which we went to a fertility clinic which was a female doctor. After investigation the doctor had instructed to perform HSG test for my wife, (it’s a kind of test that they will insert some instrument into a women’s genital and check inside for the blockage) and she also said that there is only one doctor to perform in the whole state but its a male doctor who is very experienced and aged around 75 years. My question is weather it is allowed in Islamto perform these kind of tests with a male doctor?


A: It is best that a female should be seeing to a female. If for some reason you cannot find a female that is competent enough then as a last resort a male that is righteous and careful could treat her. The treatment must be done under your supervision and presence.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: