Random Q&A

Returning stolen money to the estate of the deceased

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I have stolen my grandfathers money in my childhood but now my grandfather is not with us. I don’t remember the exact amount. Now what should I do? How should I repay it?


A: To the best of your ability try to estimate the amount you had taken. As a precaution it is better to estimate a little extra. Thereafter you should return the amount to the estate of your grandfather. The money will have to then be distributed among the heirs according to the stipulated shares of inheritance.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to IslamQA Weekly Newsletter

You will receive 5 Q&A in your inbox every week

We have sent a confirmation to you. Please check the and confirm your subscription. Thank you!