Wealth acquired before one’s zakaat date

Q: My question is for zakaat, wealth should remain with a person for an “entire lunar year” then zakaat becomes wajib. My question is if a person has one million which remains with him for an entire lunar year, zakaat becomes wajib on him but if he gets half million one week before his zakaat date, does he need to pay zakaat on one million or 1.5 million. Please clarify. (Please note that half million which the person received did not remain with him for an entire lunar year).

A: The law of zakaat is that any wealth acquired before one’s zakaat date will be included in one’s zakaat. Hence he will have to pay zakaat on 1.5 million.