1

Performing Umrah While Tattooed

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mahmoodiyah
Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail

Question:

Dear Brother/Sister

I am intending to perform UMRAH in a couple of weeks. I have a small black tattoo on my right arm that I had done long time back. I am trying to remove it permanently but it is going to take time.

1. Can I perform the Umrah with the tattoo on my body since it would be visible on the right arm?
2. Can I hide by a bandage or something?
3. Will anyone object to it?
4. Will anyone object to the bandage if I hide it?

I would be grateful if you could send me a reply since it is very important for me before going to the holy place.

Thank you.

Wassalaam

Answer:

Performing Umrah with a tattoo on the body is permissible. If the tattoo is of an inanimate object than it is not necessary that it be covered. If however the tattoo is of an animate object, it will be advisable to cover it up with a bandage. Should anyone raise any objections to your actions, explain your situation to them and tell them that you consulted the Ulamaa and this is what they recommend.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah

Springs

28 June 2007

12 Jumaaduth Thaani 1428

Facebooktwitterpinteresttumblrmail