Zakat on saving money to build a house

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

Assalamualaikum….my father keep 100000rupees to build a house we don’t have house we are living in our nani house …my father income is also less will zakat will be valid on that money ?

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Since the funds saved for building the house are kept aside as cash, Zakah will be compulsory on that money. 2500 Rupees will have to be paid. As Muslim, we have firm belief in the promises of Allah. Allah Ta’ala took it upon Himself to increase the wealth of one who pays Zakah. Allah says

يَمۡحَقُ ٱللَّهُ ٱلرِّبَوٰاْ وَيُرۡبِى ٱلصَّدَقَـٰتِ

“Allah will deprive usury of all its blessings (barakah), and He will cause charitable deeds to flourish.” (Surah Baqara Verse 276)

Therefore , by paying Zakah on this wealth, although outwardly it will seem as if the 100 000 Rupees decreased, Allah will put blessings in that wealth and will make it easier for your father to complete his house.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com