1

Reciting Bismillah before reciting the Quran

Prev Question
Next Question

Answered by:  Maulana Javed ibn Nazir Kachhalia​

Question

If I to recite seven times surah Ikhlas or any surahs or aayatul kursi while lying or sitting or driving a car, do I require to recite, “Bismillahi Rahmanur Rahim?”

If I don’t recite Bismillaah then, is it void?

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful 

Answer

According to the Hanafi Fiqh, Bismillah is not part of the any Surah but rather is part of the Qura’an.

Therefore, if you repeat a Surah several times and you don’t recite Bismillah each time your recitation will be valid. But if you recite different Surah, it will be preferable to recite Bismillah between the Surah to differentiate it.

The other scenario is if you recite a Surah and then recite from the middle of the Qura’an from any Surah its not necessary to recite Bismillah. (Tajweed for Beginners, Pg 4)

Only Allah knows best.

Written by Maulana Javed ibn Nazir Kachhalia

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.