Alhamdulillah, I am eligible to pay zakah. Please advise, can I pay my zakah amount to clear my brothers debts, as he is in too much in debts and he owes money to non-Muslims. Can I pay zakah to non-Muslims?

Answer

(Fatwa: 1363/1366/M=1433)

If your brother deserves zakah then you may give him zakah rather it is better to give the zakah to your brother beside others. Give your zakah to your brother and make him its owner then he shall be eligible whether he pays his debt with it or spends it in any other need. He also may pay the debt of non-Muslim with this amount.

Note: It is not right to give zakah money directly to a non-Muslim. If you do so then zakah shall not be paid.