Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » What is the Zakat on Plot?

What is the Zakat on Plot?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
I have following two question: (1) I have purchased two plots in a project which is under development like Bahria Town and DHA city in Karachi. I still have to pay some installments for these plots but major amount is already paid. The plot is transferred to my name in the records of the project authorities as intimation letters are issued. However the physical position of the plots are not yet given. The authorities of the projects as still building basic infrastructure like roads, water, electricity etc. It may take another 2 to 3 years or more for physical position. What is the ruling of zakah in this scenario?
(2) I have made a confirm deal of one plot in the same project for which 10% token money is already given. I have to pay remaining amount 90% during Ramadan. I took out my zakah on 1st of Ramadan. Can you please give the ruling of zakah on 90% of the amount, for which I have made the commitment but will pay after the date of my zakah deduction date.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 781/673/=10/1437)

If after defining the length and width of the plot the dealing was done on fixed rate then you became the owner of the plot (though still it has not come into your possession) and the remaining amount shall be due on you. Whatsoever gold, silver, cash, business goods are in your possession, you should evaluate their total value and shall deduct the said debt from the total value and then pay the zakah of the remaining amount. But if you have not bought the plot with the intention of selling then no zakah shall be wajib on it.

(2) If the rate was fixed and you fixed the land and finalized the dealing (it was not mere promise) then you became the owner of the land and you shall have to pay the 90% amount which is due on you as it was mentioned above.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: