I am a Muslimah. I am Shafai and my husband is Hanafi. My in laws want me to change to Hanafi madhhab but my husband does not have any problem if I remain Shafai. What am I supposed to do? Am I allowed to change to another madhhab? Should I change if my husband wishes too?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 750/690/N=1434)

According to all righteous Ulama-e-Haq the four maslaks are true. Hence it is not lawful for you to change your maslak from Shafai to Hanafi due to your husband or your in-laws, rather some scholars have termed this a cause of bad consequence. Hence you should avoid changing your maslak. It is not lawful for you to follow your husband or your in-laws in this case; rather it is wajib to avoid such things.
كذا فى الدر والرد (كتاب الحدود فصل فى التعزير 6:132-133 وكتاب الشهادات باب القبول و عدمه 8:200 ط مكتبه زكريا ديوبند)

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband


Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive curated Islamic Q&A every week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!