Marital problems

Q: I am married for almost three years and its mostly been unpleasant. My husband verbally abuses me. He insults me, my family and late husband all the time. He also has a drinking issue. I have three kids from my previous marriage. I was a widow. I would like talaq as I cannot continue under these circumstances. I am financially independent and he does not do much for me or my kids. I would like to know how I should go about obtaining Talaaq as a female. These conditions are not healthy for my kids well being. I would also like to keep the house which he insists that I sell as he will not leave. Please advise.


A: We advise that you refer your problem to an Islamic body or the Jamiat of your locality and ask them to assist you.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)