Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » Can Someone Have a Second Wife without Informing His First Wife and Children?

Can Someone Have a Second Wife without Informing His First Wife and Children?

Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad

Question

My father married a second wife and didn’t inform his children or my mother. Is this permitted in Islam?

Answer

Sister, what your father has done is hurtful and unwise, although the original ruling is that it is permissible. Many scholars of today deem it impermissible because of multiple reasons. See these in the following links:
Is Polygamy really Allowed?
Can a Husband Marry a Second Wife Without His First Wife’s Permission?

No person would want their mother, sister, or daughter treated this way. You should pray istikhara about revealing it or not. It might cause more pain than necessary, and people might start to blame you. It might be best to take it up with him and ask him to fess up.

It would help if you understood that not much can be done at this point because his current wife has rights over him, and they may have children too. Many people are involved, and usually, the truth manifests itself so that it won’t be a secret forever.

May Allah make it easy for you and give you the best situation out of this.

[Ustadha] Shazia Ahmad
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Ustadha Shazia Ahmad lived in Damascus, Syria, for two years where she studied aqida, fiqh, tajweed, tafsir, and Arabic. She then attended the University of Texas at Austin, where she completed her Masters in Arabic. Afterward, she moved to Amman, Jordan where she studied fiqh, Arabic, and other sciences. She later moved back to Mississauga, Canada, where she lives with her family.

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah Hajrat mufti shahab I have three questions to ask 1.i recently I got married last year I spent 50 days with my wife after I back to UAE she become pregnant we because of some family problem she decided to leave me there is nothing mistaken from me or from my family and each and every time I did moshwara with my ameer shahab and ulama unfortunately one I was talking to her by phone she were so excited at that time I use that word I gives you 1 talak this word repeatedly come out twice from my mouth my neeatt not to give talak just to threat her to become cool down at that time she is pregnet for 4 months after we continuing our communication each others again its happened after delivery a baby boy I used the same word that I gives you 2nd talak now she change her mind she want to continue her life with me I did moshwara with 2 alim and ameer shahab stated them all details what happened from the beginning they said she is dangerous for deen and dunia they give ijajot to divorce her in this situation how many talak will be counted and should I follow the advice (moshwara) of them I loved her a lots once I feel I will accept her again and tolerate all her zulm may be Allah will give me jaja in akirat what shall I do in this situation please reply me 2. I want to send my brother to study in deaoband embassy of India refused visa because of world situation how can I send him to sohbote ahlullah in deaoband or let him to study in darul ulum hathajari which is a graet qaumi madrasa in Bangladesh 3.i heard bayan of moulana rehman usmani and moulana rab nawas hanafi of pakistan that they said ustad of moulvi kala hajrat ahmed raza was mirja gulam kader brothe of murtad qadiany is it true Thanks a lots Allah gives you jaja and I pray to Allah to create many ulemas and muftis such as shaikul hind,goagoohi,nanutwi.kashmiri and other akabir e ulama e deoband