Is the Person who Owns two Houses Permitted to Shorten and Combine Prayers?

Answered according to Shafi'i Fiqh by Darul Iftaa Jordan
I have two houses. One in Amman and one in Irbid. In fact, I`m settled in the one in Amman, but sometimes I spent the weekends and the holidays in the one in Irbid. Am I permitted, while in Irbid, to combine and shorten prayers?

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.

Any place where you settle with your household for four days or more is considered your place of residence. As for the second house where you stay for the weekend, it isn't considered as such. However, you are permitted to combine and shorten prayers if the distance is liable for the aforementioned concessions and you haven`t intended to stay in the second house(In Irbid) for 4 days or more.

About people who have two houses, jurists have said:" A house might be considered someone`s place of residence according to the following terms":

1.The house you stay in more than the other.

2.If your stay in both houses is equal, then your place of residence is the one in which your wife and kids are.

3.If your stay in both is equal and you have a family in both, then both houses are considered your place of residence.

Ibn Hajar Al-Haitami( May Allah have mercy on his soul) said (What means):" Ruling on the people who sometimes go to their farms and those who own two houses is as follows: The house where they stay longer is considered their place of residence. However, if the stay in both houses is equal, then the one in which the wife and children live is the place of residence." And Allah knows best.

This answer was collected from the official government Iftaa Department of Jordan.

Find more answers indexed from: Darul Iftaa Jordan
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest