Question: Where do I look during prostration?
Thank you for your important question.
When in prostration (sujud), one should look at the tip of their nose. If they find this difficult, they may look directly at the floor.
The great Hanafi scholar, Imam al-Buzdawi said: “If one desires to pray the prayer of the God-fearing, they should:
- Look at the place of prostration when standing (qiyam)
- Look at their feet when bowing (ruku’)
- look at the tip of their nose in prostration (sujud)
- Look at their lap when sitting (qu’ood)
- Look at their shoulder when giving salam (ending the prayer)
[Ibn Nujaym, al-Nahr al-Faaiq]
If you are sitting and praying, then you should look at your lap or at the floor when in prostration.
And Allah alone knows best.
[Ustadh] Omar Popal
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani