What is the Etiquette to Follow When Sleeping in a Library Full of Islamic Literature?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Salam,

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

My bed is located in my library which is full of Islamic literature. There are a lot of Islamic books which are lower than the level of my bed and my legs extend towards them. What is the ruling regarding this?

Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

Normally, it is disliked to outstretch your legs ​directly ​towards religious books, unless ​the books are raised above the level of the feet. [Ibn `Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar `ala al-Durr al-Mukhtar]

However, in the case of an excuse, as you describe, the dislikedness would be lifted.

​What is More Appropriate

Though perhaps it would be more proper to avoid outstretching your legs towards ​specifically religious books–namely, ​books containing exegesis, traditions, and law​. Whenever possible, strive to ensure that these are above the level of your bed. Respect for such books is more incumbent than worldly books–such as books of literature, for instance​.

And Allah alone gives success.

wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive curated Islamic Q&A every week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!