Husband selling haraam items

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Q: I’m a sister with 6 kids. I live in usa and my husbands earnings are haram. He has stores that have alcohol and lotto, some pork items and some drug items and food as well, and he imports illegal cigarettes. Can I report him to the authorities about his illegal sale of untaxed cigarettes so they can strip him his licence for the alcohol and lotto and cigarettes so that our store can be halal. At least he’ll reflect and can’t return those licence. Can I do this for the sake of our income and spirit because he would not listen to me. He loves the flowing of the money and doesn’t care were it’s coming from.


A: If you know that you will not disturb the relationship between yourselves you may go ahead.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)