The obligation of zakaat

Q: I am a student dependant to my parents. According to the nisab of silver ($400) I am supposed to pay zakaat. And I didn’t know this as I was told that nisab is $3000 (as per gold nisab). So should I pay zakaat? I had $500 saved up for about 2 years. Also I was also told that since I am not earning money and I am dependant and my parents do pay zakat, that I am not supposed to. Could you please elaborate?

A: Yes, you should pay zakaat.

They are liable to pay zakaat on their wealth and you are liable to pay zakaat on the wealth that is in your possession.