Wearing Silk in Islam

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Mathabah.org
Answered by Shaykh Yūsuf Badāt

Question:

Is it forbidden in Islam to wear silk ties?

Answer:

In the Name of God, Most Merciful, Most Kind

Jazāk Allāh Khayr/ Thank you for your question.

In general, it is prohibited (arām) for men, in Islam, to wear silk, unless it is worn for a medical reason.

‘Alī (may God be pleased with him) said, “I saw the Messenger of God, (peace and blessings upon him), take some silk and put it in his right hand and take some gold and put it in his left hand, then say, ‘These two are unlawful for the men of my community.’” (Sunan Abī Dāwūd)

Abū Mūsā al-Ash’arī (may God be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of God (peace and blessings upon him) said, “Wearing silk and gold has been forbidden for the men of my community but is lawful for its females.” (Jāmiʿ al-Tirmidhī)

There are some jurists who say minor bits of silk in a garment are permissible for men. (See Rad al- Muḥtār)

And Allāh Knows Best

This answer was collected from Mathabah.org. It’s an Islamic educational institute based in Canada. The questions are generally answered by Sheikh Yusuf Badat and Sheikh Omar Subedar.

Find more answers indexed from: Mathabah.org