Please outline the summary of recommended actions after birth. As a mother, can I recite the Qurʾān after I give birth?
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيمAnswer
The following are the recommended actions after birth in this order:
- Adhān and Iqāmah in the right and left ear respectively, in a low voice. This should be done as soon as possible after birth and removing any impurities.
- Taḥnīk (chewing some sweet food e.g. dates and inserting into the baby’s mouth). It is preferred for a pious person to do this; however, this is not necessary. This should be done on the first day or as soon as thereafter.
- Naming the child with a good name. This can be done on the first day or the seventh day or anytime in between. It is not necessary to wait for the seventh day.
- ʿAqīqah (sacrifice of one animal for a girl and two animals for a boy) on the seventh day.
- Shaving the hair and giving charity in silver (or its value) equal to the weight of the hair, preferably on the seventh day after the ʿAqīqah.
- Circumcision for boys. The timing of this should be decided in conjunction with medical advice.
During Nifās (post-natal bleeding) it is prohibited to recite the Qurʾān or perform Ṣalāh. However, you can listen to the Qurʾān, make dhikr and supplicate to Allah including with the duʿāʾs mentioned in the Qurʾān.
Allah knows best
21 Jumādā al-Ūlā 1439 / 6 February 2018
Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmed and Mufti Muhammad Tahir