I got married in 2001. My mahr was fixed Rs. 45000 and 1 Asharafi. I could not pay the mahr that time. Now I want to pay the money in the value of 01 Asharafi and 45000 rupees. Since the value of Ashrafi has increased about four times from 2001. The value of Rs. 45000 has decreased. Should I pay in terms of value of gold as value of gold has increased many times? If I pay the same money today my wife will be in loss if I would have paid her Rs. 45000 in 2001. Therefore if I want to pay her in terms of the value of gold as the value of gold has increased. How much money I have to pay in today’s’ date including the value of 01 Asharafi. Please reply in detail and give the reference of your reply from Quran and Hadith.

Answer

(Fatwa: 606/306/L=1433)

The weight of one ashrafi is 4 gram and 374 milligram gold or its price. At the time of paying the mahr gold equal to it or its price in place of ashrafi should be given. As far as the matter of rupees is concerned since it has turned into a value, so only 45 thousand shall be wajib on you. However with mutual consent excess in mahr is also lawful; hence if you want to give amount more than 45 thousand then it shall be lawful as per the Shariah.
وان زاد فى مهرها بعد العقد لزمت (ملتقى الابحر)