Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » Naming a newborn boy as “Mohammad” only

Naming a newborn boy as “Mohammad” only

Can someone name a newborn boy as “Mohammad as First name Last name” only. (for example, father’s name is arif mahmood, can he name his son as Mohammad Arif only) What would be a proper way to call that boy…… generally we call others by their 1st names, so in this case can we call that boy only “Mohammad”. (like, o’ Mohammad come here…etc) Would this be considered as a dis-respect or not…. Please advise. (I know most of the time people names are like, Mohammad Shakeel Arif…where Shakeel is really a first name, so he would be called as “Shakeel” or “Mohammad Shakeel” instead of Mohammad only). As it’s recommended to name newborns on names of Allah or Prophets, as these are the best names to name after. How about with other prophet names, like Noah, Ibrahim, we do generally call others just by “Ibrahim” )

Answer

It is permissible to prefix or suffix one’s name with Muhammad. The person
with two names, one being Muhammad may be called with both names or any one
name. It is not disrespectful to call a person having two names with only
one name.

FATWA DEPT.

Dear Scholar,Salam I’m a Muslimah, it was and is my desire to serve Allah. A year back i joined university where I met a Shia Muslim classmate from Iran who had very twisted ideas about Islam but he tried and is still trying to search for the truth. my intuition told me that Allah had sent me here as a medium for him to attain hidayah, since my purpose of joining the course was solely to become capable of serving Islam. Alhamdolillah, I’d been able to clear many of his doubts concerning Islam. It’s obvious that how much he now respected me for my help to him and one day he expressed his desire to marry me and wanted to meet my parents but i told him about his Shia background and i’m trying to convince him that Sunni way is better and more appropriate. Listening to this he agreed to change his Madhab too. I too solely for the purpose of being his guide for his whole life, want to get married to him. But I come from a very conservative family and i hope you can understand how difficult it is for a girl in such environment express her desire to get married according to her choice. Also another problem is our nationality, He’s from Iran and i’m an Indian. He doesn’t have any job right now which is also a hindrance in the way for us to marry as my parents would surely prefer a person who’s well settled in life. As a good Muslimah how should i deal with this situation? I really want to convince my parents that i wish to marry him but because of their conservative ideas they may regard the presentation of my wish to be very shameful and disrespectful. How can i present my wish in accordance with Islamic principles to them? I Performed Istikhara and visioned pleasant red colour and lovely flames. Though i didn’t understand the meaning of this dream i felt extremely happy throughout the next day. Does this imply good? Please help me to interpret the dream in the best way possible. Please i hope to receive guidance from you. Lastly, I sincerely ask for your dua for both of us, especially for his hidayah. Jazakallahu Khair

Qadza