Do I Have to Give Zakat if I do not Work?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: I only worked for a few months this year, I am a student , I have managed to save 500. Do I have to pay zakat on this ?
My parents recieve benefits from the government as they cannot work due to old age. Do they have to give zakat on this?

Answer: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

Zakat is due on wealth that you own, irrespective of whether or not you are working.

As such, if you are possession of the zakatable minimum (nisab) above and beyond your immediate needs and expenses, and one lunar year has passed, then zakat would be due. [see: Zakat: How to Calculate & Whom to Give]

See also: Zakat Guide 2014

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org