Traveller: The issue of distance within the city of residence or another city

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

Answered by Shaykh Abu Usamah

I work in an office that is 63 miles (101.4 km) from my house. I travel there everyday by car. In this case am I considered a traveller?

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Al-Salam `Alaykum

You will be considered a Shar`i traveller if this office is in another town or city from the town, city of your residence and the distance between the borders of these two cities is equal to or more than 77km. Town or city in this case refers to a cluster of buildings that are continuously linked without there being a wide tract of vacant and unused land between them.

However if the office is in the same city as your home then you will not be considered a Shar`i traveller even if you travel a distance more than 77km.

Abu Usama

Durban, South Africa

This answer was indexed from, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics:
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest