Q: I have to go to work in Saudi Arabia. They are saying that I should dress casual, that means pants and shirt. I don’t like to wear it as I prefer a thobe and red guthra. What should I do? Some of the people laugh and say – molvi got sold out for money – wearing pants and shirt – showing his privates around. Some say you are caught into the trap of the enemies of Islam and shaytan. I sometimes hear such comments and as a result I don’t know what to do?
1. Is it haram to do like this – wear pants and shirt for work only and then dispose of it after work?
2. Is a tie a sign of the cross? Everyone at work wears it except me and a few others?
3. I am scared that if I die in this condition will I go to hell for earning rizq in a haram way i.e. wearing pants and shirt?
4. I am thinking how can I convince my non-Muslim boss to allow me not to wear it especially when everyone is ok wearing a business suit?
1. Try your best to wear a kurta. If you have to wear a shirt remove it immediately after you have come out of work even before you get into your car and ask Allah Ta`ala’s forgiveness help and protection.
2. It is traced to the cross though people today do not see it in this way.
3. As above.
4. Don’t leave trying. Beg Allah Ta`ala and Allah will make it easy for you.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)