Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Mathabah.org » Can Muslims Give Charity to Non Muslims?

Can Muslims Give Charity to Non Muslims?

Answered by Shaykh Yūsuf Badāt

Question:

As a Muslim, can I give charity to non-Muslims and receive the same reward?

Answer:

Jazāk Allāh Khayr/ Thank you for your question.

Being charitable to non Muslims is definitely a means of reward and blessings from the Almighty. It is the duty of Muslims to also assist suffering non Muslims through ṣadaqah (optional voluntary charity).

“… that you do good to them, and deal justly with them. Surely Allāh loves those who maintain justice.” (Qurʿān 60:8)

‘Omar bin ʿAbd al Azīz wrote the following to his governor in Baṣra,

“Look for those disbelievers in your vicinity who are elderly, weak and who do not have means to earn, then specify ‘on going allowances’ for them from the bayt al māl (general treasury) of the Muslims, that which you deem appropriate” (Kitāb al Amwāl by Abū ʿObayd bin Qāsim al Sallām)

And Allāh Knows Best

This answer was collected from Mathabah.org. It’s an Islamic educational institute based in Canada. The questions are generally answered by Sheikh Yusuf Badat and Sheikh Omar Subedar.

Salaam dear respected mufti My fiance has temper problems and I also have temper problems if he looks or talks about a girl I get very mad at him and argue with him I also want him to become deeny so he doesn’t do these haram things such as eye zina tongue zina or gamble last ramadan I did a tasbeeh khatum saying laa illa ha illa anta subhanka ini kuntum mina zaalimeeen I did it 30000 times the reason I did it was to make him stop watching porn and also stop smoking cigarettes and alhumdulilah he has stopped both I’m very happy from Allah but now I’m very mad at my fiance because he has lied to me he had told me he doesn’t gamble anymore but just recently his brother told me he does so now I can’t overcome my anger I’m losing trust in him I was so stress free for about 2 months or so because I believed him but now I’m stressing again but I started another khatum again the same khatum I’m doing again 30000 times for him to stop gambling inshallah stop doing eye zina not totalk about girls and to have a happy life with him with no arguments or reasons to argue so mufti saab can you please tell me if this khatum is a good khatum and if you can please give me some duas to make us happy with eachother or a khatum and some duas to fix my anger problems and my fiances anger problems he also has anxiety he says so can you please show me something to have a happy life with him inshallah because nowadays we talk about talaq a lot and I don’t want that to happen but if we don’t change then it might so please help I really want him to stop gambling it bothers me a lot I hate these type of things …jazak Allah khyaar