Mans right to his wifes inheritance?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

I incurred an inheritance after my mothers death, does my husband have a right to this inheritance thats in my name, I received the inheritance prior to my marriage??

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

You are the owner of all the wealth that you got via inheritance. In Islam, a wife is totally independent in whatever she owns. The husband has no right whatsoever in her wealth. In fact, even if the wife owns wealth, it is still the duty of the husband to take care of her expenses.

The same ruling applies to the wealth you acquired before marriage, and that what you attained after marriage (i.e the husband has no right on any of your wealth).

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com