Leaving an area the size of a coin dry

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

I have read an hadith in Abu dawood that the prophet(saw) saw a man praying but there was a spot as big as the size of a dirham coin on his leg and he commanded him to go and do wudu and pray a again.I read on a website that the implication of this is that”whoever does not wash a part(as big as a coin} when washing the parts that are mandatory for wudu whether he is sure of that or doubtful and doesn’t suffer from whispers then his wudu is void”.
1.Is this fatwa true i.e the implication of the hadith as stated by that website?
2.what is the diameter of the coin being mentioned or how can we describe the size?

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

In order for Wudhu to be valid, the face, hands to arms and feet to ankles need to be washed fully. A minimum of water of the head has to also be wiped. If even a millimetre is left dry, the Wudhu will be invalid.

A person should wash each limb three times to the best of his ability, and he should not allow the devil to make him doubt.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com