1

Is the Fast valid if someone eats at Subhe Sadiq time

Answered by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Question:

This question is about my fast to see if it is valid. I overslept one night and my wife woke me up only few minutes before sehri end time. I myself was not aware of the exact sehri end time on that day (a timetable was available to me though). When my wife woke me up, she said be quick as there are only few minutes left for sehri. I quickly had few sips of tea, did my mouth cleaning and then drank 2-4 sips of water but when I then looked at the clock, it was 3 min. up the exact sehri time (sehri time on timetable was 4:32 and I must have drank water at about 4:34) so wanted to ask if the fast is still valid? If not, do I have to do kaffara or a kaza?

Answer:

Bismillah

If someone eats at the time of Subhe Sadiq (beginning of Fajr) intentionally knowing that Subhe Sadiq has already begun will have to do qadha of the fast

and also give a kaffarah as well.

If someone eats without knowing that Subhe Sadiq had begun is only required to do qadha and no kaffarah. (Fatawa Darul Uloom Deoband p.439 v.6)

Only Allah Knows Best

Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.