Are there any duas to stop masturbation/desire to masturbate or watch pornography. Thank you very much.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Pornography and masturbation are evil and despicable sins which ruin the life of an individual. One is deprived of the sweetness of Iman. His heart and soul becomes dull and develops an aversion towards Ibadah and closeness to Allah Ta’āla.
Allah Ta’āla says:
إِنَّ النَّفْسَ لَأَمَّارَةٌ بِالسُّوءِ (يوسف: ٥٣)
Translation: Verily the nafs incites towards evil. (Yusuf: 53)
The example of one’s desire (Nafs) is like a small child; it always demands to get what it wants. The parents of the child know what is beneficial for the child and what is not. They do not grant everything the child wants even if the child screams or cries. Rather, they take measures to discipline the child. They refine him into a respectable person having good qualities. Similarly, we need to refine our one’s desire (Nafs) and not allow it everything it wants.
If one can control his desires and not give in to his desires, he will attain the sweetness of Iman and attain a high ranking in the hereafter.
Keep in mind that even if no human eye is watching us, the ever-watchful Allah Ta’āla knows the innermost regions of our heart. One should have the fear that on the Day of Judgement, no actions shall go unaccounted for and that even one’s own eyes will bear witness against him on the Day of Judgment.
The negative consequences of pornography are too many to mention. In brief, it robs one of true human values and spirituality. The real life and essence of Iman is lost.
Hereunder are a few prescriptions which may help you overcome your problem:
- Ø Stay away from all such avenues that spurs ones carnal desires, such as immoral friends, malls, beaches etc.
- Ø Protect yourself from the evil glances upon non-mahram women.
- Ø You should not access the internet unless there is a genuine need for it.
- Ø One cannot place butter into a hot pan and expect it not to melt, likewise you cannot touch an electrical wire and expect not to get shocked. Similarly, if you access immoral websites, you are bound to fall into sins.
- Ø Try to keep your computer or any other such devices in a place where everyone can see what you are doing. Switch off the devices when you have the urge to commit sins.
- Ø Do not to remain alone.
- Ø Frequent the masjid and the company of pious people. Identify a spiritual guide and benefit from his spirituality.
- Ø A practical thing one can do to stop this habit and any other bad habit is that one may make a promise to Allah Ta’āla that he will not commit the sin, and for each time he commits the sin, he will give a certain amount of money in charity or to the local masjid. However, the amount should be realistic and reasonable.
Lastly, continuously make Dua to Allah Ta’āla to help you abstain from such sins. Repent to Allah as much as possible. If your repentance is sincere, Allah Ta’āla will grant you the ability to refrain from sins. Always keep trying. Never give way to the subtle whisperings of Shaytān. At first, refraining from sins might be extremely difficult but after constant struggle and punishing of one’s desire, one’s desire will finally become controlled and you will feel pleasure in refraining from sins. Turn to Allah, the All-wise, All-powerful. Allah Ta’āla will indeed help the person who strives to become closer to Him.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ اسْتَعِينُواْ بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلاَةِ إِنَّ اللّهَ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ (البقرة: ١٥٣)
Translation: O you who believe, seek help through patience and prayer. Surely, Allah is with those who are patient. (Al- Baqarah: 153)
Furthermore, Allah Ta’āla has also promised relief after these difficulties.
Allah Ta’āla says:
فَإِنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا. إِنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا (الشرح: ٦،٥)
Translation: Verily with every difficulty there is relief. (Al-Sharh: 5,6)
Before concluding, we offer you two prescriptions.
Would you masturbate in front of your father? Would you masturbate in front of your mother?
Why then would you masturbate in front of Allah. Do you have more shame for your mother and father and not Allah?
When you think of the evil and filthy and despicable act, direct your mind to the following verse:
ألم يعلم بأن الله يرى (العلق: ١٤)
Translation: Does he not know that Allah is watching (him)? (Surah Alaq: 14)
Picture the reality of you doing such an evil act in front of Allah!
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Abdullah Syed Sajid
Student Darul Iftaa
Houston, TX, USA
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.