Answer: It is improper for a Hanafi to perform his Witr Salaat behind a Shafi’ Imam considering that the Shafi’ Imam will make Salaam after two Rakaah whereas the Hanafi is not allowed to do so. The Salaat is terminated by the Salaam whereas according to the Hanafi school of thought Witr Salaat consists of three Rakaah (without Salaam in between) and not two and one.
Is it permissible for a Hanafi to perform Witr Salaah behind a Shafi’ Imam?
This Q&A was collected from the official web portal of Academy of Research in Islamic Jurisprudence (Arij) from Canada, which was headed by Mufti Ibrahim Kureshi and Mufti Zakariyya Panchbhaya. As the original website is no longer accessible, we have provided a source link of each answer to the archive copy from Way Back Machine.
- Is there Ghusal and Janaazah Salaah for a stillborn child and does a it have to be given a name?
- Do ismailies do shirk?
- Dream Regarding Wedding Ring Gifted by Relatives
- Squeeze it out: The Baraka of Ramadan
- My husband is cruel. (Hanbali Fiqh)
- Can Qunoote-Naazila be made during any prayer or does it have to be only during Fajr? I once attended a prayer where the Imam performed this during Isha?.
- Performing salaah in a musjid that was built with haraam money