Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah
Can women wear …
1) sterling silver rings
2) silver plated or gold plated rings
3) bohemian silver
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
There is no difference of opinion amongst the scholars that women are allowed to wear gold and silver rings. As far as rings made of other substances, ʻAllāmah Ibn ʻĀbidīn states “To wear rings made from iron, brass, copper, and lead is makrūh [disliked] for both men and women” (Raddu al-Muḥtār, 6/359). Similarly, it is stated that “It is makrūh [disliked] to wear a ring that is made from iron, copper, brass and lead for men and women” (al-Fatāwā al-Hindiyyah, 5/335). However, it is also stated that “There is nothing wrong in wearing a ring made of iron, but is plated with silver in a way that the iron is not visible” (al-Fatāwā al-Hindiyyah, 5/335).
To answer your questions:
1) Sterling silver rings. Wearing them would be permissible. Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver.
2) Silver or gold-plated rings. Wearing these would also be permissible.
3) Bohemian silver jewellery describes the type of jewellery, not the type of metal. Since it is made of silver, it is also permissible.
4) Alloys. The dominant metal is generally taken into account. For example, it is more than 50% gold or silver, then it would be considered permissible by all scholars.
Only Allah knows best
Written by Shaykh Umer Khan
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham