Assalamualykum mufti Sahab, Is it better for a person to adopt the clothing of a layman (pant, shirt, topi) instead of wearing sunnah clothes like turban or Kurta out of the fear that wearing clothing of sunnah will result in pride? This is because people will praise such a person that he is ‘religious’ and ‘pious’ since he stands out from the majority of Muslims. If I’m not wrong, please correct me, that Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi has written a “tareequl Qalandar” in which a person dresses and present himself like a layman but from the inside is pious and this is very good. Please shed light on this matter. Jazak’Allah
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
The Quran and hadith are replete on following the sunnah. See the following:
1. لَقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُولِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ لِمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا (الأحزاب-21)
Translation: There has certainly been for you in Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) an excellent role model for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah often.
2. قُلْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ (آل عمران-31)
Translation: (O Rasulullah!) Tell people: If you indeed love Allah, follow me (Sunnah of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), and Allah will love you and will forgive you your sins. Allah is All-Forgiving, All-Compassionate.
3. مَنْ يُطِعِ الرَّسُولَ فَقَدْ أَطَاعَ اللَّهَ وَمَنْ تَوَلَّى فَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ عَلَيْهِمْ حَفِيظًا (النساء-80)
Translation: Whoever obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah. And whoever turns away, we haven’t sent you as a protector over them.
1. “بَدَأَ الإِسْلاَمُ غَرِيبًا وَسَيَعُودُ كَمَا بَدَأَ غَرِيبًا فَطُوبَى لِلْغُرَبَاءِ الَّذِينَ يُصْلِحُونَ مَا أَفْسَدَ النَّاسُ مِنْ بَعْدِي مِنْ سُنَّتِي ” (الجامع الترمذي 2630)
Translation: Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Islam began as a stranger and soon Islam will revert back just like how it started. So glad tidings to the strangers those who correct my sunnah, which people have corrupted after me.”
2. فَعَلَيْكُمْ بِسُنَّتِي وَسُنَّةِ الْخُلَفَاءِ الرَّاشِدِينَ الْمَهْدِيينَ، عَضُّوا عَلَيْهَا بِالنَّوَاجِذِ (سنن ابي داود 4607)
Translation: You must follow my sunnah and the sunnah of the Kulafa Ar-Rashideen. And hold on to it with your molars.
3. أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ كُلُّ أُمَّتِي يَدْخُلُونَ الْجَنَّةَ إِلاَّ مَنْ أَبَى قَالُوا يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَمَنْ يَأْبَى؟ قَالَ مَنْ أَطَاعَنِي دَخَلَ الْجَنَّةَ، وَمَنْ عَصَانِي فَقَدْ أَبَى (صحيح بخاري 7280)
Translation: Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “All my followers will enter Jannah except those who refuse.” The Sahabah asked, “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), who will refuse?” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Who obeys me will enter Jannah and who disobeys me has refused me.”
When Allah and His Rasul has ordered us to practice on sunnah, there is no need to seek further advices on practicing the sunnah. The thought of pride by practicing on the sunnah is a whisper of the Shaytan. Do not focus on that thought.
Furthermore, pride is disregarding one’s right and despising people. When one practices on sunnah attire, he does not look down upon others. That is not pride (Takabbur). Yes, he may be outstanding due to his sunnah attire. One should feel proud when dressed in sunnah attire. That also serves as an encouragement for others to don the sunnah attire.
If everyone thinks like you, there won’t be any sign of sunnah. It is our responsibility to practice on sunnah and promote sunnah. A fashion commences gradually until it spreads. A person with new fashion does not feel odd. He feels proud. That causes the fashion to spread. When people of fashion do not feel odd, why should we as Muslims feel odd by practicing the sunnah? We should be ambassadors of the sunnah and proudly practice on the sunnah.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Student – Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.