Have I divorced my wife?

Assalam o alaikum

Dear molana sb

Recently i had a fight with my fight and during that fight (verbaly) got too intensed that we were both in huge anger and wife was saying we will keep distance etc and i in rage said ‘i will give you divorce’  (ONCE).

My question is i have given her 1 talaq but soon after that i repent offered 2 rakat astaghfar and never to do that again appologized my wife. Is this acceptable. Kindly guidance is needed.

Regards

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

We received two emails from you. In your first email you say that you told your wife “I am giving you divorce”. In your second email you say that you told her “I will divorce you”. It also appears that English is not your first language. Please clarify the exact words you said to your wife as well as what language you said it in. You may respond to [email protected] (Reference – Nadeem).

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Nadeem Moulana

Student Darul Iftaa
Kentucky, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.