Becoming influenced by one’s company

Q: Please advise me on how to refrain from committing the sins whispered by Shaitaan into my heart? I am constantly getting the urge to shorten my beard and wear western clothings such as t-shirts, jeans, trousers, etc. The temptations I feel are strong and forceful.

Additionally sometimes these temptations depress me when people around me misbehave with me due to my attire being a long robe or a long thoub which is always above my ankle.

Please be advised that under my current employment conditions, I have to live beyond city limits where my shaikh resides and it is very difficult for me to communicate with him as he has become old and frail. Additionally I have a language barrier that I haven’t been able to overcome as I was born and raised in an Arab nation and educated in a western system.

A: A man is influenced by company and surrounding. The simple practical way to get all this right is to have a group of friends who are like-minded and will support you and encourage you in matters of deen, like the tableeghi jamaat. Conduct taleem daily at home.