Q: Is there any basis for these advices and will it be preferable to follow it:
Deeds or foods that weaken the memory
2. Sour Apples.
4. All those things that cause phlegm.
5. Moist Coriander.
6. Salted meat.
7. Hot bread.
8. Eating from a pot.
9. The leftover drink of a rat.
10. Reading tombstones.
11. Witnessing a crucifixion.
12. Looking at stagnant water.
13. Looking at one’s own private parts.
14. Looking at the private parts of a woman.
16. For a person in need of a fard bath to look at the sky.
17. Looking into the mirror of a cupper (one who does cupping).
18. Using a broken comb.
19. Urinating in stagnant water.
20. Urinating on the side of the road.
21. Urinating under a fruit tree.
22. Urinating into ash.
23. Making wudhu in an impure place.
24. Wiping the hands or face with the tail of the clothing/kurta/qamis etc.
25. Entering the Masjid with the left foot or leaving with the right.
26. Dusting clothes in the Masjid.
27. Sweeping with a cloth.
28. Using a pants or turban as a pillow.
29. Excessive joking.
30. Laughing in the graveyard.
31. Excessive worries of the world.
32. Cupping on the nape.
33. Throwing of live lice.
References for the above Al-Mu’jamul Kabir of Tabarani, Kitabul ‘ilm of Ibn Abi Khaithamah, pg.31, Al-Jami’u li akhlaqir rawi, pgs.400 & 404, Ta’limul Muta’allim pg. 43, Al-Maqasidul Hasanah pg. 519, Tazhkiratu Sami’ Wal Mutakallim pg. 77, At-tibb of Imam Dhahabi, pgs.174-175 & Raddul Muhtar.
A: This is based on experience.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)