The significance of odd numbers

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

I humbly request if you could advise me on the significance of odd numbering in Islam. My reason for this request is that there are many Sunnats which are specifically performed an odd number of times. Shukran.

Answer

Several Sahabah (radiyallahu’anhum) have reported that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said:

Indeed Allah Ta’ala is one (which is an odd number) and He loves the odd number

(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 453 and Musnad Ahmad)

Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has declared his narration as sound (hasan)

The commentators have mentioned that this is the reason many acts of worship are kept in the odd number, like the 3 rak’ats of witr, the 5 daily salats, the 7 circulations around the Ka’bah etc.

(Faydul Qadir, Hadith: 1807)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,

Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com