Enduring hardships when living in Madinah Munawwarah

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

Please provide the reference for this narration.

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“Whoever endures the hardships and rigours of Madinah, I will be an intercessor or a witness on his behalf”

Answer

Imam Muslim (rahimahullah) has recorded this narration on the authority of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) and Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah (radiyallahu ‘anhu). The version of ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) is as follows:

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar’s (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) freed slave came to him and greeted him. She then said, ‘Abu Abdir Rahman, I have decided to leave [Madinah] for it has become difficult for us. Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) said to her, ‘Stay here, foolish lady, for I have heard Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) saying:

“I will be a witness [in favour of] or an intercessor on the Day of Qiyamah for the one who endures the hardships and rigour of [Madinah]”

(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 1377)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com