Inheritance

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

My mother passed away last year she was a retired teacher from government school she did’nt make any will we are three sister and my father is alive so how do we share her estate and she was terminally ill in which the medical expenses were way too much to bear so some of our relatives had helped us so how much share would come in my deceased mother share n how much we daughter n father will have we have no brother her mother is still alive

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

We pray that Allah blesses your mom with Jannah al-Firdaws.

Firstly, you need to pay all the outstanding debts of your deceased mom from the entire estate. The heirs will only get funds if there is any wealth remaining after paying all debts.

From the remaining portion after the debts have paid, the estate will be dissolved as follows:

The husband of the deceased (your father) will get quarter,

The mother of the deceased (your maternal grand mother) will get one sixth.

The remaining will be divided between you three sisters equally.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com