Answered by: Maulana Sibghat Ullah
During Salah, I pronounced “Ghayril” in “Ghayrilmaghduubi ‘alaihim” with a ‘G’ sound rather than with ‘ghayn’. Then to correct this I repeated “Ghayrilmaghduubi ‘alaihim”, note that I repeated from “Ghayril” and not the entire verse from “Sirataal-lazeena”. I performed prostration of forgetfulness for repeating. Is my salah valid?
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
We should know that what makes our Salah void or nullified. Following are the situations which make our Salah nullified[i].
- Wilful negligence of any essential posture of Salah like Rukoo’, Sujood, etc.
- Eating or drinking.
- Uncovering parts of the body that should be covered.
- Diverging from the direction of the Qiblah.
- Excessive movement, which is not part of Salah.
- Anything that nullifies Wudu.
- If the person makes such a mistake in which the meaning of the Holy Quran is changed. The Salah in this case will be deemed invalid irrespective of whether three verses of the Holy Quran was recited or not.
- If a person reads a certain letter instead of another letter and it was possible to differentiate between both without any difficulty the salah will break. However, if it was difficult to differentiate between the letters for example ‘seen and saad’ then if he changed it intentionally the salah will be rendered void, otherwise it will be considered intact.
- If a person read extra words in which the meaning of the verse changed the Salah will be rendered invalid, whether the extra words he read were in the Holy Quran or not. However, if the meaning does not change then whether the extra words he read are mentioned in the Holy Quran or not, his salah will remain intact.
Sajdah Sahwe will become obligatory[ii] if,
- Any Wajib(obligatory) act being omitted.
- Any Wajib act being displaced, i.e. observing it before time or later than its actual occasion of being observed.
- Any Wajib act being delayed to the extent of one rukn i.e. the time taken to say SubhanAllah three times.
- Any Wajib act being reported.
- Any Wajib act is being altered, i.e. loud recitation being recited in place of silent recitation.
- Any Fardh act being displaced, i.e. observing it before time or later than its actual occasion of being observed.
- Any Fardh act being repeated.
What are the wajibs or obligatory in salah[iii] :
- Recitation of Surah Fatiha in every raka’ah.
- Adding a Surah (or three verses) in the first two rak’ahs of Fardh, and in every rak’ah of Witr and Nafl.
- Standing up after ruku.
- Tranquillity in each position.
- The middle sitting.
- Recitation of the Tashahhud in every sitting.
- The words of Salam.
- Reciting aloud the Fajr, Maghrib and Isha and reciting softly the Zuhr and Asr.
- If one is praying by himself, he has the choice; if he wishes he may recite aloud where the imam would, making his voice audible to himself, or if he wishes he may subdue his voice in all the recitations.
If any of the above mishaps occur due to forgetfulness, only then Sajdah Sahwe will remedy the error.
However, if a person deliberately missed the aforementioned things then his Salah will break. Sajdah Sahwe will not be sufficient.
Regarding your question your salah will be valid as you did sajda sahwe at the end of your salah and your mistake was not deliberate.
Only Allah knows best.
Written by Maulana Sibghat Ullah
Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham
[i] Fatawa e Usmania, Vol 2, Page 127- 161, That Which Nullifies Salah, Al Asr Academy, Peshawar
[ii] Fatawa e Shami, Vol 3, Sajda Sahwe, Page 76- 117.
[iii] Fatawa e Usmania, Vol 2, Page 87, Obligations of Salah, Al Asr Academy, Peshawar