Answered by:Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Is it permissible to read Salah with a door in front which has a window on it and reflects pictures from behind?
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
The Islamic ruling in relation to pictures on clothing and reading Salah in a room where there are pictures is as follows;
- If the pictures, which are on one’s clothing, are of a non-living thing, it is permissible to wear. Similarly, it will be permissible to read in such an environment or a room where there are pictures of non-living things. However, if there are pictures right in front of the person reading salah and there is a chance his concentration will be affected then this will be Makruh. (Raddul Muhtar p.416 v.2)
- If the pictures are of living things, then it will be Makruh Tahrimi to read Salah with such clothing. Similarly, the same ruling will apply if the picture of the living thing is in front of him or on the side or top. (Raddul Muhtar p.417 v.2)
- If the picture (of the living thing) is so small that it is not apparent to someone who looks down at them standing, then it will be permissible to read salah in such clothing. (Raddul Muhtar p.418 v.2)
- If the head is cut off from the picture or the face has been blotted, it will be permissible to read salah in such clothing. (Ibid)
- If the picture in the room is covered then it will be permissible to read Salah there.
- Toys, newspapers etc… as long as they are not right in front of the person reading Salah, the Salah will be done without detestability even though it may be in some other part of the room. (Raddul Muhtar p.417 v.2)
Regarding your question, if the reflection of the picture in front of you is apparent and clear in terms of you can make out the face, eyes, etc, then it will be considered Makruh Tahrimi to pray Salah in front of that reflection of the picture.
Only Allah Knows Best
Written by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah
Darul Ifta Birmingham