1

Can one do Dikhr or recite Quran when there is music playing in the background?

Answered by: Alimah Nasima Umm Hamza​

Question:

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

Can I do Dikhr or recitation of the Quran, either audibly or whispering or in my mind, even when there is music playing in the background, due to non-believing passengers on the coach/bus who blast their music?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

When the Quran is being recited, then it is required that it is listened to due to the ayah:

وَإِذَا قُرِئَ الْقُرْآنُ فَاسْتَمِعُوا لَهُ وَأَنصِتُوا لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ

“So when the Qur’an is recited, then listen to it and pay attention that you may receive mercy.” (7:204)

Therefore it would be advisable that you avoid reciting Quran in a busy place but it is permissible for you to listen to recitation with earphones. It would also be permissible to do dhikr quietly.

Only Allah Knows Best.

Answered by Alimah Nasima Umm Hamza

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.