Q: Our akaabireen (senior elders) Ulama e Deoband achieved a high rank in ilm (knowledge of Islam), amal (practicing on Islam) and taqwa. As far as ilm is concerned, our akaabireen of Deoband are famous for their excellence in Hadith and Fiqh. However,as far as tafseer of the Quran Majeed is concerned, not much is mentioned about it. Mufassireen among the ulama e Deoband are not mentioned. I only know of two ulama among our akaabireen who had very great knowledge of tafseer: Maulana Ahmed Ali Lahori and Maulana Shams ul Haq Afghani. I would be very grateful if you tell me names of some of our akaabir who had a very high rank in the ilm of Tafseer of the Quraan Majeed .i.e mufassireen among the Ulama e Deoband.
A: Them not writing on the subject does not mean that they were not proficient in Tafseer. the Darul Ulooms in India and Pakistan, all had their Mufassireen, excelling in teaching Tafseer.
1. Anyway there is Bayaanul Qur’aan by Hadhrat Thanwi.
2. Ma’aariful Qur’aan by Hadhrat Mufti Mohammed Shafi saheb.
3. Translation by Hadhrat Shah Rafee’uddeen Saheb.
4. Translation by Allaamah Shabbir Ahmad Uthmaani Saheb.
5. Translation by Moulana Abdul Maajid Daryabadi Saheb.
6. Kamaalayn by Moulana Mohammed Na’eem Saheb deobandi.
Moulana Yusuf Laher