Q: What is the proper process for Ghusl (bath)? I read different things everywhere and have no idea what the correct way is now. Even the niyas (intentions) are different.
A: The Sunnah method of taking a bath is as follows:
1. Wash both hands up to the wrists thrice.
2. Thereafter wash off any impurity that may be on the body thrice.
3. Now make Istinjaa of both the front and hind private parts whether there is a need or not.
4. Thereafter, perform Wudhu according to the Sunnah manner. If one is bathing in such a place where the water does not flow away but gathers at the feet, then wash the feet after moving away from that place. If the water does not gather but flows away, then wash the feet during the Wudhu.
5. Now pour water over the head, then the right shoulder and then the left shoulder. Use so much water that it flows down the body and reaches the feet. Rub the body with the hands. Repeat this entire procedure another two times. If one feels that a certain portion of the body has remained dry, pour water over that portion and rub it to ensure that it also has been washed.
Moulana Yusuf Laher