Sex in Ramadaan

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za
Q: Can I have sex in Ramadaan while fasting or after fasting with my wife?
A: To have sex with the wife during the day in Ramzaan while fasting is haraam. If one did this knowingly and while remembering the fast then the fast breaks and one qazaa plus 60 days kaffara become waajib. Kaffara means that after Ramadaan one must fast 60 days consecutively, one after the other, as a punishment for breaking the fast of Ramzaan. so the compensation for this is that one must fast one day as qazaa, and another 60 days as a penalty.
If one has sex forgetfully, then the fast will not break. Forgetfully means that when the man did this with his wife, he did not remember that we was fasting.
If you had sex with your wife, you must be honest with Allah Ta’ala. He knows what is in your heart. If you knew that you were fasting, but are saying that you had forgotten, then Allah knows the truth. We have mentioned the Islamic ruling above. It is now up to you to do what is right.

May Allah Ta’ala guide you and help you in your predicament, aameen.

Mufti Siraj Desai

This answer was collected from AskMufti.co.za, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Siraj Desai of Darul-Uloom Abubakr, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: Askmufti.co.za