Please can you tell if when doing nafl fasts you can keep them for more than one intention. for example if i am replacing my fasts that I have missed from the last ramzaan can I

Please can you tell if when doing nafl fasts you can keep them for more than one intention.  for example if i am replacing my fasts that I have missed from the last ramzaan can I also ask that the sawaab be given to a deceased family member?  Also when intending to do something such as reading the quran or giving sadaqa on begalf of the deceased is there anything in particular that should be said?  Jazak Allah.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

In principle, a person can convey the reward of any charitable or physical deed that is Nafil (voluntary) with more than one intention. However, Qadhaa’ fasts (missed fasts) are not regarded as Nafil. Therefore, you can not make eesaal e sawab with that.

There is no specific procedure of making Eesaal e Sawab to others. Simply make the intention that whatever good deeds you are offering, their reward be conveyed to the deceased.

(Aap kay Masail, Pg.227, Vol.3, Maktabah Ludhyanwy)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abduz Zaman, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā, Madrasah In῾āmiyyah