I am a newly married guy living in USA. My wife lives in INDIA. We normally talk 2-3 hours a day over phone. My question is during the month of RAMADAN…

I am a newly married guy living in USA. My wife lives in INDIA. We normally talk 2-3 hours a day over phone. My question is during the month of RAMADAN

1) In RAMADAN if a husband and wife becomes sexually excited during the phone talk, and they experience wetness in their private areas (not ejaculation) as a result, does that break their fast?

2) Can you please tell me when does a woman’s (question is for my wife) fast becomes invalid. I mean under what circumstances does her fast becomes invalid when she talks to me over phone?

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

1. If a husband and wife experience wetness, whether ejaculation (manī) or pre-ejaculatory fluid (madhī) by simply speaking on the phone, the fast will not break. 

2. A woman’s fast will not break if she experiences wetness due to talking to her husband over the phone, as mentioned above.  The ruling is the same for men and women.

(أو أنزل بنظر) إلى فرج امرأة لم يفسد (أو فكر وإن أدام النظر والفكر) حتى أنزل لأنه لم يوجد منه صورة الجماع ولا معناه وهو الإنزال عن مباشرة ولا يلزم من الحرمة الإفطار

(مراقي الفلاح المطبوع بحاشية الطحطاوي، كتاب الصوم، باب في بيان ما لا يفسد الصوم: ص 758؛ العلمية)

And Allah knows best

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,
Student Darul Iftaa

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In’aamiyyah