The way we were taught is very long. It uses too much water, time and energy. It discourages intercourse with one’s husband because of the effort one must go through afterwards.
We do not know the manner you were taught. To make Ghusl is very simple. Merely:
1. Pour water over your right shoulder thrice;
2. Pour water over your head thrice;
3. Pour water over your left shoulder thrice;
4. Make sure no part of the body or hair remains dry;
5. Gargle the mouth thoroughly;
6. Put water into your nose thoroughly;
7. If any impurity is on the body, make sure it is washed off;
The niyyah should be made in the heart that you are making Ghusl to cleanse yourself from impurities. There is no specific du’aa to read before or after Ghusl.
and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai